Besides fiber, your choice of style will be one of the most important decisions you'll make, as much for performance as for aesthetics. So it's vital to choose the right style for your needs and the room when shopping for a new carpet installation.
When you come into our carpet stores in Calgary, AB, you'll see a wide assortment of colors, designs, and constructions; after all, you'll see hundreds of samples! Don’t get distracted, though, and stay focused on your needs. Here's a guide to carpet styles to help guide you when shopping for carpet in Calgary.
Looped pile carpet
It's essential to understand carpet anatomy. Pile refers to how the fibers are attached to the backing, and all rugs start as an uncut loop. They either remain that way or are also cut into piles of various lengths.
The two looped styles are:
- Level loop: The tight texture, making it a little less soft, is excellent for high traffic, busy rooms.
- Berber: With thicker yarns and a distinctive pattern with flecks of brown or gray, this is durable and good for high-traffic areas.
- Primary cut pile: With short, even fibers, this is an ultra-durable rug, acceptable for any level of foot traffic.
- Saxony: A cut pile with slightly longer yarns than the basic, it has two textures: Plush, which shows footprints and vacuum marks, so it's best for lower traffic rooms; and Textured (or Trackless), which doesn't leave marks and is acceptable for any foot traffic level.
- High pile rugs like the shag require more TLC to clean, so it's best to keep it in bedrooms or other low-traffic areas.
- Frieze: Has long-ish fibers that twist so tightly they curl. It’s durable and a good choice for family rooms.
- Low pile: Short, tight woven fibers make this easy to clean and more durable.
- Cut and loop: Fibers of various lengths create patterns. It is suitable for all rooms.
With so many choices, you’ll find a carpet that complements any decor. To learn more and get a free quote, come into the Westvalley Carpet & Flooring showroom at any of our three locations: North Calgary, AB, South Calgary, AB, Westvalley Central (Calgary, AB). That makes us convenient to any area in the Greater Calgary, Alberta area!